As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you’re looking to invest in a portable and durable kayak that provides the best value, my Vibe Skipjack 90 reviews will provide the necessary information. I’m sharing the features that make this kayak a showstopper and why some design aspects may be beneficial or not for your fishing trips.
- Vibe Skipjack 90 General Overview
- Vibe Skipjack 90: Features and Benefits
- What Sets the Vibe Skipjack 90 Apart for Fishing?
Vibe Skipjack 90 General Overview
A small kayak for big adventures, the Vibe Skipjack 90 guarantees stress-free fishing even in tighter waterways and windy rivers. Its well-planned features include a wide hull, an adjustable backrest, waterproof cargo, and mounting accessories. While not the fastest, its weight and maneuverability make it an excellent entry-level kayak.
- Lightweight kayak with a V-shaped keel improves maneuverability in tight, hard-to-reach places.
- Waterproof cargo hatch for storing personal items and keeping them dry.
- Molded polyethylene to resist impact on rock-solid rides and rapids.
- Cockpit may feel a bit cramped for larger paddlers.
- Not suitable for open oceans.
- KEY FEATURES | 1-person sit on top fishing kayak - 9ft 46lbs fishing kayak with Journey paddle and...
- MOUNT FOR ACCESORIES | 4 capped flush mount rod holders and mounting point for Scotty, RAM and Vibe...
- NO MORE OVERBOARD PADDLES | Two paddle parks to help secure paddles when not in use, preventing lost...
Vibe Skipjack 90: Features and Benefits
Vibe Skipjack 90 offers several features. However, the effectiveness of these features depends on their suitability for your needs. This is why it’s crucial to weigh in each element to see if they can help make you snare a fish and maneuver in waters.
Size and Weight
This small kayak is nine feet long and 32 inches wide. It only weighs 46 pounds, making it easier to haul around than the Vibe Yellowfin 100. You can grab it with one hand, take your fishing gear in the other, and walk safely to the water.
The average weight limit for a recreational kayak is 250 to 300 pounds, and the Vibe Skipjack 90 offers a maximum of 300 pounds. So, even if you weigh around 150 pounds, you can bring a 15-pound rod, average-size fishing cooler, snacks, and safety gear without exceeding 300 pounds.
However, this kayak may not suit people weighing around 250 pounds. While the kayak has a wide-open deck that provides ample foot space, a person with a bigger body build and weight would feel cramped while sitting.
Kayak accessories can make paddling easy to learn. With these features, you can also improve the comfort level of kayaking.
- While molded footrests take up some room, these can prevent you from slumping forward. If you want to ensure proper and comfortable posture, the footrests are a good feature to encourage rotation to propel the kayak effectively.
- The kayak contains four fishing rod holders and a fish finder mount. There’s even a rod holder for a Scotty GoPro camera rig, ensuring the camera captures the moment you catch a big fish.
- There are small indentations on the gunnels that act as paddle rests. In this way, you can quickly leave the paddles across the deck without worrying about them rolling off as you rest. The paddle holders also come bungee-secured so that you won’t lose overboard paddles.
Kayak fishing may take extended hours of hunting for your target fish. The good thing is that this kayak includes a padded seat and an adjustable backrest.
The cushioned seat pad provides enough comfort when you’re sitting on the deck. However, you can’t adjust the seat in high and low positions. Still, two side straps allow you to tilt and adjust the backrest.
The Skipjack 90 is fully waterproof and leakproof, thanks to its ultra-stable rotomolded single-piece polyethylene build. Polyethylene has a high-impact strength due to its relative ductility and elastic-like properties.
Thus, the durability of the Vibe Skipjack 90 is perfect whether you need to drag the kayak up and down or go through multi-day expeditions.
Some kayaks are prone to slipping overboard. With the slip-resistant deck area of the Vibe Skipjack 90, this can also serve as a stand-up kayak. Aside from that, it comes with built-in buoyancy to keep you from sinking despite harsh weather conditions.
If you need to stay in the water for a long time or are planning on a kayak camping trip, the molded central console of the Vibe Skipjack 90 provides huge storage to keep your essentials safe and dry.
- Storage spaces in the front and rear of the kayak let you balance the weight load. This ensures you can easily stabilize the kayak as you maneuver.
- Outfitted with a couple of sealed hatches in the middle and at the bow for quick access. The hatches have waterproof bags that shield your supplies and gear from splashing waters.
- A bungee cord secures the small storage platform. This keeps your fishing equipment, rain gear, and even lunch bag from rolling around as you kayak.
- There are compartments for small items, including a bottle holder and a round hatch cover.
Measuring only nine feet long and 46 pounds, its compact size guarantees portability. If you want to stop fumbling with J-hooks or rooftop kayak racks, the Skipjack 90 is small enough to fit in the back of an SUV, expanding your transportation options.
If you’re usually struggling with hauling a kayak from the water to your car, the four molded carry handles of this kayak won’t make you break a sweat. The easy-grip handles make the kayak grab-and-go, suitable if you require quick portage for creeks with obstacles.
Besides, the handles can serve as extra latch points when you need to strap the kayak on top of your vehicle.
The Skipjack 90 has a V-shaped keel suited for tracking. Its short, wide hull does not give you difficulty maneuvering in tight spaces. Consequently, this increases the kayak’s speed so that you can reach your destination quickly, whether it’s a hidden cove or further downstream.
Its hard chines or sides keep the kayak going in a straight line. Even if you get caught in the current or wind, the pronounced keel, hull, and paddles can help correct position with a stroke or two.
While it won’t be as fast as a 12- or 13-footer kayak, the kayak’s 32-inch beam, which is quite broad for a standard 9-foot kayak, contributes to a rock-solid ride. This is a lifesaver when you’re deterring tipping or swaying as you make every effort reeling in that monster catfish while standing.
What Sets the Vibe Skipjack 90 Apart for Fishing?
Kayaks are generally an exciting way to go fishing. However, there is something about the Vibe Skipjack 90 that makes it suitable for almost every angler. From its stability in the water to its maneuverability and build quality, it offers fishermen many fantastic fishing opportunities.
Here are several reasons why the Vibe Skipjack 90 is fantastic for fishing:
Compared to conventional fishing boats, the Vibe Skipjack 90 is much more affordable. Asides from its significantly lower price, anglers also don’t have to spend much on fueling, maintenance services, and insurance. This makes the Vibe Skipjack 90 great for anglers on tight budgets to still enjoy fishing away from the banks.
Easy to Transport
The portability of the Vibe Skipjack 90 makes it easy to transport to and from the water. This kayak is small and concise enough to be strapped to a roof rack or fit in the back of an SUV, creating more transportation possibilities.
When kayak fishing in the Vibe Skipjack 90, there is a wide range of fish that can be caught. Huskies, walleyes, panfish, catfish, and all kinds of bass, to mention a few. Also, its width and stability make it possible for anglers to stand in and fish, especially when carrying out underhand casting.
Easy access to water is one of the biggest reasons the Vibe Skipjack 90 is excellent for fishing. Unlike boats that require a launch ramp, you can immerse this small kayak into any body of water and access narrow waterways without the fear of getting stuck or damaging your kayak.
The proximity of the Vibe Skipjack 90 to the water line enhances visibility and makes it easy for anglers to introduce bait under docks or between vegetation. It also brings you closer to the fishing action so you can experience the excitement of watching your catch struggle.
Fishing with the Vibe Skipjack 90 is a great way of incorporating fitness into the fishing experience. While anglers are out targeting fish, they can move around by making paddle strokes in the water. Like any sporting activity, this is an effective way to exercise the body and build strength.
It is a Whole New Experience
Kayak fishing with the Vibe Skipjack 90 offers a whole new experience to anglers. It can be a great idea to alternate things rather than sticking to just casting decks and banks. This creates new challenges and helps improve angling skills.
Despite being a small kayak, the Vibe Skipjack 90 provides customization, portability, and sturdy built quality. Its accessories and storage options also ensure you can maneuver swiftly without leaving any gear behind. I highly recommend this product for anglers looking for affordable yet high-performing kayaks.